Marx-Engels | Lenin | Stalin | Home Page
Stalin- Transcripts from Soviet Archives
The draft resolution of the Council of Peopleʹs Commissars and the Central Committee of the CPSU (b) on the legal status of labor settlers, proposed by the NKVD. At the earliest June 1, 1939
A source: Politburo and the peasantry: Expulsion, special settlement. 1930‐1940 Book II. Moscow. ROSSPEN 2006 p. 618‐620
Archive: GA RF. F. R‐5446. Op. 32.D. 25.L. 56‐54. Typewritten copy of that time.P‐309 Top secret
OF THE COUNCIL OF PEOPLEʹS COMMISSARS OF THE UNION OF THE SSR and the CENTRAL COMMITTEE of the CPSU (b).
ʺ_ʺ _ 1939. Moscow. Kremlin.
On the legal status of labor settlers.
In order to clarify the legal status of the labor settlers, the Council of Peopleʹs Commissars of the USSR and the Central Committee of the AUCP (b) DECIDE:
1. Labor settlers (formerly kulaks expelled from areas of complete collectivization) and their families, in accordance with the decree of the Central Executive Committee of the USSR of 25 / I‐1935, are assigned to live in the areas of their settlement without the right to leave these areas, with the exception of children labor settlers falling under the decree of the Council of Peopleʹs Commissars of the USSR No. 1143‐280 from 22 / X‐1938 and who have married non‐labor settlers.
Any resettlement outside the districts within the krais (oblasts) may be carried out only with the permission of the RK Police.
2. To propose to the Peopleʹs Commissariat of Internal Affairs of the
a) to release from labor settlements the persons evicted by the order of the Council of Peopleʹs Commissars of the USSR No. 775‐146 from April 20, 1933 ‐ convicted for a period of time by the courts, former organs of the OGPU and organs of the NKVD of the USSR, to whom the
established term of punishment has expired passports with restriction of the right of residence in the areas specified in the annex to this resolution.
b) the persons moved into labor settlements on the basis of the said decree, whose terms of stay in labor settlements have not been established, should be left to live in labor settlements, transferring to the position of administrative exiles, having established a 5‐year period of stay from the moment of eviction. After the expiration of a 5‐year term, release from labor settlers, issuing passports to them with the restriction specified in paragraph ʺaʺ of Art. 2 of this resolution.
3. Children of labor settlers living in labor settlements falling under the decree of the Council of Peopleʹs Commissars of the USSR No. 1143‐280 from 22 / X‐1938 [,] enjoy the unhindered right to leave the areas of labor settlements.
4. In accordance with the decree of the Council of Peopleʹs Commissars of the USSR No. 986‐236 dated 9/1X‐1938, labor settlers and their families, as well as persons [,] living in labor settlements, transferred to the position of admiral [,] may be members of statutory agricultural and fishing artels.
5. The economic and labor activities of these artels are regulated by the charter of the artel, the board of the artel and the resolution of the general meetings of the members of the artel, as well as by national decrees and orders.
Labor activity of labor settlers working in construction, timber rafting and production is regulated by labor agreements concluded between economic agencies and labor settlers.
For malicious failure to fulfill their obligations under labor agreements with economic agencies, labor settlers are prosecuted under Art. 131 of the Criminal Code of the RSFSR and the corresponding articles of the Criminal Code of other Union Republics.
6. Propose to the USSR Peopleʹs Commissariat of Internal Affairs to issue to labor settlers working in construction, timber rafting and other sectors of the national economy, under labor agreements concluded between them and economic agencies, passports with a note in column 10: ʺSuitable for living in such and such an area.ʺ
Allow the families of labor settlers to live with the head of the family who works as a permanent worker in production.
7. To oblige the USSR Peopleʹs Commissariat of Agriculture to complete in 1939 the issuance of acts for the perpetual use of land to statutory agricultural cooperatives of labor settlers.
8. Labor settlers who are not personally defamed by anything, who have married citizens from among the non‐labor settlers, are allowed to live in all points of the USSR, with the exception of those listed in the appendix to this resolution.
To propose to the Peopleʹs Commissariat of Internal Affairs not to interfere with the departure of these persons to their chosen places of residence and the issuance of appropriate passports to them.
9. To abolish the commandantʹs offices of the NKVD of the USSR in labor settlements from 1 / X1‐39.
Observation of order in labor settlements, as well as measures to prevent escapes from settlements, shall be entrusted to the precinct and district offices of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the Militia of the Peopleʹs Commissariat of Internal Affairs of the USSR.
10. To allow the USSR Peopleʹs Commissariat of Internal Affairs to increase the size of the police in the areas of labor settlements by reducing the staff of the NKVD commandantʹs offices.
11. Propose to the NKF of the USSR to increase the corresponding allocations in the state budget for the maintenance of additional contingents of the precinct and district apparatus of the RK Police.
12. To consider as invalid:
a) Resolution of the Council of Peopleʹs Commissars of the USSR No.
130 s of 1 / VII‐1931.
b) Resolution of the Council of Peopleʹs Commissars of the USSR No.
775‐146 from April 20, 1933;
c) Resolution of the Council of Peopleʹs Commissars of the USSR No. 174 ss of August 16, 1931 and the resolution of the Council of Peopleʹs Commissars of the USSR and the Central Committee of the All‐Union Communist Party (b) No. 91 of January 17, 1936 in parts that contradict this resolution.
Chairman of the Council of Peopleʹs Commissars of the USSR (V. Molotov)
Secretary of the Central Committee of the Central Committee of the CPSU (b) (I. STALIN)On l. 56 at the top right is a stamp of the Secret Department of the USSR Council of Peopleʹs Commissars Administration with the handwritten date ʺ11 / X‐1939ʺ and the incoming number. Dated from document P‐308.