Marx-Engels | Lenin | Stalin | Home Page
Soviet Archives - Collection of Government Documents on Workers
From the Collection of enactment and decrees of the government for 1921, Administration of the Council of People's Commissars of the USSRDownload PDF this collection
About labor units. ( Izv. No. 76, S. U. 27‐155 ).
Resolution of the Council of Labor and Defense.
In order to achieve a systematic approach to the supply of the National Economy with labor and the organizational use of all labor forces released in connection with the end of hostilities at the fronts, the Labor and Defense Council, in amendment and addition to the previously issued resolutions and orders, decided:
1. To grant the Peopleʹs Commissariat of Labor the right to organize labor units as required.
The labor armies and units currently existing in the Republic engaged in non‐defensive work, no matter whoever has them, are transferred to the jurisdiction of the Peopleʹs Commissariat of Labor.
Note . Labor units organized from the population of the localities included in the shock production plans of the Peopleʹs Commissariat of Agriculture for any branch of agriculture can be formed only by agreement with the Peopleʹs Commissariat of Agriculture.
2. Labor armies and labor units are transferred to the Peopleʹs Commissariat of Labor, starting from May 1. The transfer must be completed no later than June 1. The Peopleʹs Commissariat of Labor is obliged to submit to the Labor and Defense Council a detailed plan for the reception of labor units and their use by May 1. Within a month after the acceptance of the labor units, the Peopleʹs Commissariat of Labor must make a complete re‐registration of them and find out the extent of their use.
Note . The technical apparatus available in the center and in the localities for managing labor units are transferred to the Peopleʹs Commissariat of Labor together with these units.
3. The labor units of the Peopleʹs Commissariat of Labor are transferred to the entire command and administrative staff, all the Red Army soldiers in the units, and the younger ages are subject to transfer to military units to replace them with older citizens, and the entire economic and technical apparatus.
4. The labor units of the Peopleʹs Commissariat of Labor are intended to meet the labor requirements of all economic bodies of the Republic, at the same time they serve as the organizational and access bodies of the Peopleʹs Commissariat of Labor for those mobilized for labor purposes.
5. In all matters concerning the organization of the internal order of labor units, temporarily be guided by the regulations of the Workers ʹand Peasantsʹ Red Army.
6. The management of the workforce provided by the Peopleʹs Commissariat of Labor from the above‐mentioned labor units belongs to the economic bodies that perform the work.
7. For the organization and management of the work of labor units, the Administration of labor units of the Republic is organized under the Peopleʹs Commissariat of Labor. In the field: in the districts ‐ District Departments, on the outskirts of the Federal Republics and at the regional authorities ‐ Departments at the relevant bodies of the Commissariat of Labor. The above‐mentioned labor units management bodies must be created by the Peopleʹs Commissariat of Labor before the transfer of labor units.
8. The supply of food items to the labor units, pending the transfer of food to the labor units to the food bodies of the Peopleʹs Commissariat of Food, established by agreement between the Peopleʹs Commissariat of Labor and the Peopleʹs Commissariat of Food, is carried out by the apparatus of the Main Directorate for the supply of the Red Army with food and basic necessities at the expense of the general military fund. departments, according to the norms on a par with the Red Army. The supply of units, newly organized by the Peopleʹs Commissariat of Labor, is carried out in the manner and according to the norms established in each individual case, by agreement between the Peopleʹs Commissariat of Labor and the Peopleʹs Commissariat of Food.
9. For the supply of labor units with clothing allowances, the Main Directorate for the supply of labor units is formed under the Extraordinary Commissioner of the Council of Labor and Defense for the supply of the Red Army and Navy, and in the field ‐ independent supply units for labor units. The relationship between the Directorates of labor units (central and local) and labor units, on the one hand, and the Main under the Emergency Authorized Directorate for the supply of labor units and its local bodies, on the other, to establish the Peopleʹs Commissariat of Labor and the Emergency Commissioner of the Council of Labor and Defense for the supply
Army and Navy additionally and submit for signature to the Chairman of the Council of Labor and Defense no later than April 2 of this year. g.
10. The creation of apparatuses for clothing supply of labor units should be timed to the moment of transition of labor units from the jurisdiction of the military department to the disposal of the Peopleʹs Commissariat of Labor. Prior to the formation of local supply bodies for labor units, the Extraordinary Commissioner of the Council of Labor and Defense for the supply of the Red Army and Navy must provide the Main Directorate of Labor Units with a special fund sufficient for the continuous supply of labor units.
Chairman of the Council of Labor and Defense V. Ulyanov (Lenin) .
L. Fotieva, Secretary of the Council of Labor and Defense .
March 30, 1921.
Published in No. 76 of the News of the All‐Russian Central Executive
Committee of Soviets dated April 9, 1921.