Marx-Engels | Lenin | Stalin | Home Page
Soviet Archives - Collection of Government Documents on Workers
From the Collection of enactment and decrees of the government for 1921, Administration of the Council of People's Commissars of the USSRDownload PDF this collection
Decree of the Council of Peopleʹs Commissars.
The Council of Peopleʹs Commissars decided:
1. Henceforth, allow continuous overtime work only in those exceptional cases when, with continuous work or the need for constant shifts, there are not enough workers and employees, and temporary overtime work in the cases provided for in § 94 of the Code of Labor Laws ( 1918 No. 87‐88, Art. 905 ).
2. Permanent overtime work may be introduced only with the permission of the All‐Russian Central Council of Professional‐Unions at the request of the central administrative or economic institutions, agreed by the Central Committee of the relevant union.
3. Overtime work of a temporary nature, introduced for a period of not more than one month and a duration of not more than 50 hours per month, is permitted by the Provincial Trade Unions; in case of exceeding these norms, temporary overtime work must be authorized by the All‐Russian Central Council of Trade Unions.
4. Commissions for Labor Supply under Provincial Food Committees in agreement with the Labor Rationing Departments. Provincial Professional Council is given the right to cancel an additional ration, if such was previously issued to workers for overtime work, in cases where enterprises, when switching to a normal 8‐hour working day, reduce their previous daily productivity.
5. With the issuance of this resolution, permanent overtime work in all enterprises and institutions that do not have permission for them from the All‐Russian Central Council of Trade Unions, issued after the publication of this resolution, must be stopped within a month.
6. Supervision over the use of overtime work in the field shall be entrusted to labor inspectors who bring to justice those who use overtime work on their own or outside the specified rules.
7. With the publication of this resolution, No. 82 of the General Regulation on Tariffs of June 17, 1920 (No. 61‐62, Art. 276 ) and the resolution of the Council of Labor and Defense of October 23, 1919 (1919, No. 53, article 506 ) on granting the Extraordinary Commissioner of the Defense Council for the supply of the Red Army and Navy the right to independently increase the working day.
Chairman of the Council of Peopleʹs Commissars V. Ulyanov (Lenin) .
N. Gorbunov, Administrator of the Council of Peopleʹs Commissars .
Secretary L. Fotieva .
April 6, 1921.
Published in No. 80 Izvestia of the All‐Russian Central Executive
Committee of Soviets dated April 14, 1921.