The article "In Memory of Count Heyden " was published in the Bolshevik symposium Voice of Life (St. Petersburg, 1907) with the following editorial note: "Written in June, immediately after the appearance of Tovarishch 's panegyric, this article, owing to circumstances 'beyond the control' of the author, was not published at the time. In now including it in this volume, the editors believe, that it has lost none of its significance today, although the occasion that prompted it is now a matter of the past."
Circumstances "beyond the control" of the author was a term usually applied to obstacles on the part of the police and the censorship. In this case it was to be understood, in addition, that the Bolshevik symposium was the only publication in which Lenin's article could be published at that time. The article was unsigned, but in the table of contents the author's initials "N. L." were given.
Russkiye Vedomosti (Russian Recorder ) -- a daily newspaper published in Moscow since 1863 by liberal professors of Moscow University and Zemstvo personalities; it expressed the views of the liberal landlords and bourgeoisie. In 1905, it became the organ of ths Right Cadets. After the October Revolution (1917) it was closed down.
This refers to the All-Russian political strike in October 1905, when the revolutionary crisis was coming to a head.
Peaceful renovationism -- the "Party of Peaceful Renovation" was a counter-revolutionary organisation of the landlords and bourgeoisie. It was formed in 1906, uniting the Left Octobrists and Right Cadets. Lenin called the "Party of Peaceful Renovation" the "Party of Peaceful Plunder".
This refers to the landlord Penochkin in Turgenev's story The Village Elder.
Saltychikha (Darya Ivanovna Saltykova, 1730-1801) -- a landowner, famous for her brutal treatment of her serfs.
Rennenkampf and Meller-Zakomelsky -- tsarist generals, known for their harsh suppression of the revolutionary movement.
Lenin quotes Goethe's definition of a philistine (Goethe, Werke. Neue Ausgabe. Zweiter Band, Berlin, 1893, S. 593).